Thursday, March 12, 2015

Milch Reis (Rice Pudding)



from Mels

Notes: This tasted just like I remember it from Germany. My first Sunday in Germany all 3 sets of missionaries were invited to the ward mission leaders home for lunch. I remember just learning how to eat with my fork in my left hand. But in the area, Solingen/Wiesbaden, it is called Bergisches land. And one of their typical things is a Bergisches Kaffeetaffel. With that, coffee, or Karo and tea for LDS homes, was served. Waffles with rice pudding on top were a must. Then you could have cheeses, and meats, and other breads as well as some fruit. I loved it! 

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup Arborio rice (or sushi rice works well), rinsed
  • 6 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Directions
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, milk, vanilla bean and seeds, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed, about 40-45 minutes.
  2. Remove vanilla bean; stir in heavy cream. Rice pudding may be served warm, at room temperature or chilled (personally I prefer it slightly warmed).

1 comment: